Goodbye Grandpa

Grandpa Romeril passed away. It has been almost 2 years since his wife passed away and now they are together again. Almost 98 years…that is quite awesome for a cowboy.

The following is his obituary and a partial re-post of when Grandma Romeril passed away:

FREDERICK JAMES ROMERIL passed away peacefully at his home in Cardston, Alberta on October 27, 2010 at the age of 97 years.
He was predeceased by his wife of 71 years, Hilda Elnora Payne Romeril in 2009, his daughter Fae Walburger in 2010, his son-in-law Glenn Barfuss, three grandsons and one great granddaughter, his parents Frederick William and RoseAnn Romeril, his brother Charles and sister Elizabeth Olsen.
Fred is survived by his children: Marie Barfuss of Hill Spring, AB, Wayne (Karole) Romeril of California, Ruth (Clayton) Carter of Utah, Jane (Albert) Carlson of Cardston, AB, Carl (Cheryl) Romeril of Cardston, AB, Nolan (Vicki) Romeril of Mountain View, AB, Clark (Melanie) Romeril of Calgary, AB, and Connie (Larry) Gibb of Hill Spring, AB; son-in-law Russell Walburger of Mountain View, AB, brother Durell of Lethbridge, AB, and sister Louise (Bob) Wiley of Utah, along with her 48 grandchildren and 119 great-grandchildren.
Fred was born February 18th, 1913 in Stirling, AB and raised in Raymond. He moved to Mountain View in his early 20’s. Here he married Hilda Payne on March 25th, 1937, in the Cardston Alberta Temple. They raised their 9 children on the ranch in Mountain View. He loved working on the ranch and taking care of his animals, sheep, cows and his beloved Belgian horses. He was a cowboy and loved the cowboy life.
He was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving in many capacities. Fred and Hilda spent the last several years at the Chinook Lodge in Cardston where they constantly mentioned how much they appreciated the kindness that was always given to them.

My Thoughts:
Seeing as I grew up in California I didn’t get to see my grandparents very often but when we did they were extremely memorable trips.
My first memory of a trip to Canada was when I was probably 7 years old. It was a complete disaster getting there. Our family would pack up in our yellow van, putting the ice chest between the two front seats, which would serve as an additional seat for one of the 11 kids. We would pile in for the brutal drive. I don’t know how my mother did it; my dad was smart and would fly up later so that he didn’t have to make the road trip. Seatbelts weren’t a high priority back then so we would constantly move all around the van. Mike and I would be in the back and he would punch the seat and then I would pretend to start crying. I would have to do it loud enough for mom to hear so that she would then start yelling at Mike. How completely stupid were we? We were trying to get mom mad at us which was almost suicidal. But what else were we to do on those long boring trips. We didn’t have iPods, cell phones, dvd players in the vehicle…the only thing we had, was countless merciless hours of The Carpenters on 8-track.
On our way to Canada our van caught on fire, broke down in the middle of Montana, and Gary and Jim went hitchhiking (Thanks to the family who went out of their way to help us out), but we finally made it…and then the real fun began. I rode a horse for the first time. I vaguely remember having a night terror episode, screaming at the top of my lungs as Grandma came running in trying to figure out what was going on…and then the whole family had “rear” terror as the milk from Grandma and Grandpa’s cows wasn’t quite the same as we were used to drinking. It messed up our digestive systems and 11 kids were sick and all had diarrhea. I don’t remember our van breaking down on the way back home but imagine all that time with 11 sick kids. I’m not sure which was worse, the trip there or the trip back home.
Other trips to Canada were much better. When I was a teenager I remember sleeping in a camper just outside Grandma and Grandpa’s house. We were able to ride their ATV’s but the most memorable was taking the canoe and going fishing in one of the nearby lakes. My brother’s and I would spend hours out there casting the lines and catching the fish. I caught the biggest one, a 14 inch Pike. We brought it back and I helped (actually watched) as Grandma cleaned it and then we cooked it up. I don’t like fish so I naturally thought it was disgusting but I will always remember Grandma talking me through each step of the whole process.

The last time I saw Grandpa was at Grandma’s funeral. He looked great. My grandparents have quite the posterity with nine children of their own. We hope we will always make you proud. I love you Grandpa and will be excited to see you again some day.


About kromeril

I'll come up with something
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s